So today the family will arrive home at some point, but I have absolutely no idea when.
I had a lay in the morning, and didn't get up until about 9am. I knew I would have to wait around until I heard from the prawn fisherman to see it I was going to be able to go out on his boat, so just chilled around the house until he phoned.
As it turned out about 10 minutes before he rang, Greg phoned. He said there would be a days work tomorrow weeding the patches he is returning if I was interested, and if I wanted it turn up, and if I didn't no worries...no many bosses are that lenient!
Unfortunately when the prawn man rang it was bad news - the skipper was more than happy to take me to sea fishing, but the weather wasn't cooperating. There is going to be heavy seas and changeable weather all week, so the boat isn't going out at all. It's a real shame really, that would have been a brilliant experience.
However he did say, if at any point im about around here again and want to give it a go, give him a ring and he'll set me up..I'll keep that in mind I think!
After the phone calls and I knew what I was doing, I went down to the coast about 11am hoping for a surf. The wind didn't appear to have picked up here, so I was hopeful for average conditions...but I was wrong. There was a howling south easterly ruining the reasonable swell which was around, and after checking all the spots around Caloundra I gave up on the idea.
Instead I went to the surfs hop about my board which was on sale. I decided I was still going to get the new one despite mine not selling, even if I had to pay a greater balance after selling mine to the shop (for less than I was asking for).
A long story short meant that I was actually given more for it than I was originally offered, and was only $50 worse off than if I had sold it via the shop to someone else anyway. He also gave me big discount on the tail pad and wax I bought too, so I was stoked! Plus he put the tail pad on for me in the shop, which saved me a pain-in-the-ass job, which is easy to mess up..
Having spoken to the guys in the shop when getting my board they said that the surf at Moffat would be improving throughout the arvo, and to check it a bit later.
I took their word for it, went off and got some lunch, then waxed up and put the fins and leg rope on my new board, and headed for Moffats.
Surf enough the surf had picked up substantially, and the wind had gone more southerly, making Moffat the most sheltered in the area.
I was out for about 2 hours, and despite not getting too many waves due to the crowd and inconsistent sets, I love my new board! It will obviously take a little getting used to, but I am so glad I decided to get it. I just can't wait to use it again now!
When I got home I was surprised to find the family still weren't home. I sorted out all my kit, and prepared some stuff for dinner, doing extra and leaving it on the side for when they got home.
I then just bummed about and watched TV really for most of the evening. When it got to about 9pm I decided to just leave a note and go to bed, as I knew I would be up early for work the next day.
I didn't hear them come in as far as my sleepy memory serves me, but apparently they couldn't have got back long after I fell asleep.
(Photo - My new board!)