The last three weeks has raced by which is surprising seeing as we're both still in between jobs. The first week back was Canada Day and we went to the Blue Jays and Red Sox baseball match followed by fireworks at Woodbine Beach. Really cool day with a huge flag nearly covering the baseball field and the Jays scoring a lot of runs. Unfortunately we underestimated how hard it would be to get back from the beach and what would normally take 30 minutes ended up taking us about 2 hours with a lot of walking. Two days later we hired a car to head down to the Niagara Falls border crossing and should have probably gone earlier in the week as it turned out to be Independence Day with a large number of Americans wanting to come into Canada. 6 hours later and we had our work permits (whoop whoop!) and had time for some sightseeing of the Falls which are very impressive.
The next couple of weeks highlights have been:
- Both of us starting AFL and having our first game. Van even was voted the best contributor! We both really enjoy the sport (which has a lot of running!) and it's a really social club so we'll definitely be signing up to the club for next season. Fifth quarter was a lot of fun too.
- The Pan Am Games starting in Toronto and attending the Beach Volleyball and Football. Matt probably should have paid more attention to the location of the Football as that was another day with a lot of public transport.
- Having Bryan, Amie, Sharky and Val over for dinner.
- Attending 12 beers of summer which was $20 entry and then free tastings of local craft beers with live music! Awesome!
- Job hunting, which has mostly been interviewing with recruiters.
- Marathon training getting well and truly underway.
- Matt continuing with his beer brewing and the first tasting session which was actually pretty good.
And last but not least, the weather. Over the last couple of days the temperatures have been over 30 degrees and it feels more like 40 with the humidity. It's been really nice to have clear blue bird days for so much of the last few months which is in stark contrast to Stavanger where nice weather is a bit of an anomaly. Matt has a few weeks of work now and next weekend we're off on a canoeing trip to Algonquin Provincial Park.