Drove to Killarney today, toured a Tower Castle ruin...name to follow. Then viewed more fantastic scenery, stopped for lunch at The South Pole pub, founded by a great Irish explorer named Tom Creen. He accompanied Shackleton amongst others.
Learned a few things lately:
1. The Irish have great music and they are very social.
2. To go to college you have to score high on standard tests and be able to pay for college. There are no student loans here.
3. There are a lot of single middle aged men here, not sure why?
4. The schools teach in Irish. Everyone speaks English as well.
5. Smithwick's beer is very tasty.
6. The food is delicious, we have had many good desserts...fruit crumbles, sticky toffee pudding..seafood chowder, brown bread, the bacon is extra special, very lean and more like Canadian bacon.
7. In 2011, there was 3.4 million sheep, my calculations were way off. I counted 1 million!
Music in western Ireland is entertaining and abundant. This is particularly true in Dingle where we easily found small concerts. For example, we attended three invigorating concerts on three successive evenings while in Dingle. And some of the best music is found in the local pubs. Gifted musicians in both venues, sang and played a variety of instruments. The music was enchanting and uplifting. So far the quality and quantity of music has been the biggest surprise! Who knew!