Everything is great. I arrived on the 2nd, and spent a couple days exploring the city before moving into my suite on the 5th. The suite is really nice, and is home to a girl from England, a Scot,
and another American student. The coolest thing about the suite is that we have a private garden. It's supposed to be a community garden, but no one has a key. However, we are right next to it and
can get into it from climbing out our kitchen window. The suite is also right off a main road, and is pretty easy walking distance to everything, including the castle. Edinburgh is a big capital
city, much bigger than any place I've ever lived, but it isn't really that large. You can walk everywhere, or hop on a bus.
Edinburgh is beautiful. Almost every building is made out of gray/brown stone, so it has a really uniform look. I haven't been any place that is run down or ugly. In most places the street is
lined with townhouses and the bottom floors are brightly colored businesses, mainly restaurants and pubs. Take a look at my pictures!
School is going well, although I don't want to bore you with a blow by blow of my medieval art class. So far I've had my two lower division classes, which consists of three lectures a week (big
classes!) and one small group tutorial. My honors level class is meeting for the first time tomorrow morning. Having professors with accents is fun. My art history teacher is basically Mr. Weasley,
except better looking.
I'm going to start a running list of observations. I think it will be a more entertaining way to blog:
1. All the girls wear short skirts or shorts, tights, and flat boots. Seriously. It's out of control. Okay, all is an exaggeration. But it is 1 in 5. And about half the girls have
flat boots. I feel like I should buy some.
2. Everything is beyond expensive. You have to think in pounds or else you go mad.
3. The dental school is adjacent to a vodka bar.
4. I went to a Tartan Mill/Educational Center, and it was sweet. Rachel, Mandie, I'm so having a Scottish wedding, just to spite you.
5. Speaking of weddings, I found the perfect ring in a shop on Princes street. And it's affordable! Okay, so I've got the ring and the wedding theme, am I missing anything? Nothing
comes to mind...
6. My Montgomery blood has an intuitive grasp of the city. I can wander off without a map and end up in EXACTLY the right place. It's uncanny.
7. I live next to a mortuary. No, that's not true. I live next to the place they literally put the bodies into the caskets. The mortuary is down the street.
8. There is far too much Britney Spears coverage.
9. Speaking of pop culture, there is a massive tv tax here so we don't have a tv. It blows. I want the BBC, damn it!
10. The grade school kids wear really cute school uniforms, and with their accents they are adorable. However, middle school girls are still annoying.
11. Street signs appear to be optional.
12. Some people have never eaten a bagel. Apparently bagels are American. I was eating one and a Scottish girl said, "Ohh! You're just like the kids on the OC!"