- Woke up at 4am to shower and get the bus in time to reach the train station. Took the Gatwick express to the airport from Victoria station.
- Flight from Gatwick to Venice Marco Polo at 6:10am arrived in Venice (its an hour ahead of the UK) at 11:10am
- Took ATVO bus to Piazza Roma. We almost got on the wrong bus and already had our luggage in the compartment below. We got yelled at by the bus driver and he said that we should have asked where the bus was going! Well that was a lesson learned and we got on the next bus which took us to the bus station in Venice
- Walked a bit to check into hostel, got info from receptionist. We had the choice of 3 different locations for our room and so we chose the one with the best location which is just minutes walking from rialto bridge and San Marco piazza . When we checked in, the receptionist handed us 4different keys! One for getting into the building, one for getting into our flat, one for getting into the bathroom and one for getting into our room.
- Took water bus #2 to Rialto Bridge. Probably one of our only water bus experiences since were in such a nice location. Its so strange that since there's no cars in Venice you can either walk, take a water taxi or the water bus! We arrived in our room shortly after getting off the boat (water bus)
- Walked for a few minutes and arrived at our hostel which is close to Hotel Splendid and Rialto Bridge/San Marco. Really nice location like I said but also fairly big room, towels, comfy pillows and a decent bed. We have a private ensuite room and although the bathroom is not in the room, we have a private bathroom in the foyer of our flat.
- Regrouped before heading off to San Marco Piazza. Since we didn't get more than 2 hours of sleep on Friday night it was nice to just chill and get everything in better shape
- Went to a small café and got a margarita pizza which was super good!
- Went into the San Marco Basilica but since we were wearing too short of shorts we had a pay a euro for these napkin things to wear over our legs. The Basilica was absolutely gorgeous with extremely high ceilings and paintings on the walls/domes. Kristen snuck in a picture of it which will be uploaded soon.
- Walked around the piazza past doges palace and walked around those surrounding streets
- Went to Del Academia and saw some really pretty/ratherlarge Italian paintings. We were so exhausted at this point that we only stayed around an hour and then set off on a journey to find food!
- Walked back towards Rialto and got dinner at this delicious little restaurant. We got a bottle of the house wine and this new kinda of pasta that is similar to spaghetti butalso curved, salad each and I got the chicken and Kristen got pork.
- Headed back toward Rialto and got gelato along the way. We walked over the bridge and in a few of the little shops around there. Then headed back to our room after an exhausting but fun day of traveling!
- The weather was: partly sunny when we first arrived and checked into our room (at a different location than where were staying). Started to sprinkle towards the end of our water bus ride and then pretty much rained the rest of the day. Although everyone hates rain, we were troopers and just dealt with it :)
- Fun Facts about Venice:
- The average depth of the canals is 16 feet and the grand canal is almost 4 miles long. Its crossed by 3 bridges: Rialto, Monte dell'Accademia and Ponte degli Spalzi