What a day!!!
A few firsts on our final big day of cycling:
1. First rainfall in 14 days last night, and it rained HARD!
2. First thunder and lightening last night too! Lit up the bedroom a few times in the night!
3. First time we tried to take a short cut and not follow cycle routes.
4. First time we hit a path up a BIG hill! We both made it up in first gear, just about!
5. First time we hit a cycle path that wasn't asphalt or concrete and due to the weather and tractors was actually a deep mud trench!
6. First time we had to get off our bikes because they were sinking in the mud.
7. First time we couldn't even push our bikes because the wheels and brake pads had been fused with mud and straw.
8. First time we had to unload our panniers, find sticks and scrape thick mud off our wheels, chains, brakes and cogs in order to continue our journey.
9. First time we cycled down a big hill at 20mph!
10. First time we repeatedly got lost trying to find our way to the cycle route again!
11. First time we got rained on whilst cycling and had to get out our rain jackets, rain covers for our panniers, and cycle through big puddles as it poured down!
12. First time we cycled almost 40 miles in a day (64km), a new Robinspers record!
13. First time we had an escort into our end town, as a lovely old German man who couldn't speak English decided he would cycle us to the place we needed to get to as he couldn't explain!
14. First time we have seen bears on the roadside, courtesy of Heidelberg zoo, who have an open front to their zoo and have white bears roaming around in full view in their enclosure!
15. first time we have finished cycling and don't have to do it again tomorrow as we are taking trains the rest of the way to Munich!
So all in all a very interesting day yesterday and a great way to finish the cycling par of our trip. We are staying in a beautiful hotel in Heidelberg, a city that if you ever come to Germany you should visit, just beautiful! We head to Bruchsal sat morning to visit our friends Ben and Silke and then on Monday train it to Munich!