Late last night we returned to Nairobi from the 3 day safari. It's too much to describe in a blog so I'll just give you a run down.
3 Best parts:
1. seeing the baboons drop poop on the hippos swimming under them. And also just seeing nearly all the animals we wanted to see- minus the leopard and rhino Which are both extremely rare. Although we did see the food the Leopard had placed in the tree for us.
2. Relaxing for 4 hours during the hottest part of each day on our king sized bed in a luxurious(I call it Harry potter style) tent. It had flush toilets, hot showers, 2 sinks, electricity, hot water bottles, an outside lounge, an amazing view with animals walking past.
3. The staff was amazing at encounter mara (http://www.encountermara.com)
The went out of their way for us and out driver Dixon was amazing. He could see animals from km away whereas our eyes couldn't even see then. And when we were late for our flight, he drive like a crazy man to get us to the flight and it was the funnest drive I have ever had. (Dangerous, but fun) and I felt completely safe with him.
3 things I would change about the experience:
1. Africa belly finally hit me on our first night. I was vomiting out both ends and continued to feel nauseous for the entire day. The staff were so helpful and got some tablets and rehydration satchels sent in for me.
2. Im not a big fan of falling asleep to the sound of the lions roaring. I know this is meant to be a good experience but it is a little unsettling for me when I'm trying to relax. And in the same fear of animals, I personally did not enjoy when we drove close to the bank where the crocs and hippos were. Parts of the bank had fallen in already and I could imagine the ground giving way below us. In not sure what would be worse, being attacked by a crocodile or by a hippo. I choose neither thanks.
3. I detested flying in the small planes. On the way there, the plane was about half hour late. It was a 10 seater plane and the turbulence was crazy, it felt like we were free falling every few seconds. We were meant to have 3 stops but then they decided to add in an extra stop. The runways were wet, gravel, dirt roads that looked like the tires would get torn up. Anxiety overtook me for the entire hour and a half we were flying.
Things I'm grateful for.
-we got there and back home safely.
- the staff gave me the tablets when I was sick.
- we had flushing toilets and hot showers.
-Matt was with me.
-We didn't get eaten by the animals.
Overall it was a fun, expensive, once in a life time experience. I would give it 7 stars out of 10 and can now tick it of my list.