Things I have learned so far:
1. Although the water is not potable, it's still clean enough for us to brush our teeth with!
2. If you ask for a drink To Go (para llevar) they will in fact give it to you in a plastic bag (without a cup)
3. Although the buses are quick and only cost .25 cents, the driver will often tell you that it's going somewhere that it indeed is not.
4. Turns out the rainy season is not so rainy. More like the "fry the gringos" season. So far our group has had some pretty impressive sunburns
5. The fastest way to an Ecuadorian's heart is through sweets
6. There is no such thing as too much rice
7. Although in one meal you can eat up to 4 different starches, everybody stays so thin because they dance ALL the time. It's a good system, the best of both worlds.
8. There is no word in Spanish for germs. If you have a cold, clearly it's because you went outside with wet hair, or because you weren't wearing slippers around the house.