Ok... First reports on backpacking badger's progress are as follows:
I'm going to start all of my blog entries with a list (for all those skim readers out there...):
You know you're in Delhi when:
- A visit to Costa coffee (yes - and it's exactly the same!) becomes the highlight of your day
- You can smell cows***, urine, sandalwood, incense and barbecuing meat simultaneously
- You change your perception of what 'crowded' actually means
- You make lots of 'friends' who mysteriously vanish when you don't need to buy anything from them
- You focus all your energies on getting the hell out of dodge...
Yeah, so it's not the most pictureesque place I've ever been to - infact - I took my camera out with me today with the specific aim of taking some snaps, you know, the type which capture the light and colour and bustle of the place in a beautiful and romantic way, and I've come back empty handed... (hence the 'borrowed' picture of the Taj Mahal - which I am nowhere near...)
Off to the foothills of the Himalayas tonight - and I can't wait... I'm pretty sure that there's some fresh air waiting for me somewhere up there. I promise that my next installment will: a) say something positive and b) have some lovely photos.
To be fair, I haven't really given Delhi a fair chance - and I am going to be swinging by on my way to the other side of the country, so I hope to be filled with a renewed sense of wonder at this overwhelming city. One thing: I have seen the stadium for the Commonwealth Games 2010 and there is not a cat in hell's chance that it will be finished by next year...