It's been a full on few weeks since our last entry. Van has been flat tack at work and Matt has been out in Vancouver for work from Monday to Thursday which has meant that he's been busy too. Some highlights of the last month are as follows:
- Adam and Amanda visited us in Toronto. We picked them up in Buffalo on Friday night and stayed there to see the Niagara Falls the next day. Before leaving Niagara we walked along Clifton Hill which was SO tacky, but also awesome! We went to this scary house and Van's tactic was to scare the person that was trying to scare us. The rest of us just ended up thinking the scary person was following us the whole time. We then popped into Oast brewery to sample some fine beers and visited a couple of wineries before heading back to Toronto to catch Toronto Rock (the local lacrosse team). Jason, Jenn and Kevin joined us and we ended up making a bit of a night of it and finished at a Vietnamese place in China Town.
- St Louis ski day with Jason and Jenn, followed with Centurion (100 shots in 100 minutes). St Louis was quite a mellow mountain and so we entertained ourselves on the jumps all day, coupled with some rum and cigars of course! Jenn was the surprising victor of the 100 shot challenge, with Jason and Jenn's mates bowing out early and Matt not being able to hold any down after 85. Van was an excellent time keeper!
- Dinner at Momofuku which was delicious!
- Some mountaineering practice for Rainier and Banff with Conor and Jenn and some rock climbing at the new Bloor St gym and out at Rattlesnake Point.
- Banff Film Festival in Toronto
- Sunday touch rugby
The last five days we've had doing a road trip in Florida for the Easter break. Neither of us had much sleep on Tuesday night so Wednesday was a long day with an early flight and a lot of driving down to Key West (bottom of the US of A) and then back up to our accommodation in Key Largo. We had an awesome seafood dinner in Key West and followed that up with a Key Lime pie. The next day we started at Mrs Macs diner and then drove up to South Beach which was pretty busy with Spring Break. Along the way we stopped by an Alligator Farm where we zipped around on an airboat and watched a congregation of alligators getting fed. Matt tested out some alligator jerky and we followed this with a seafood lunch at the local joint in Miami. Matt indulged in conch fritters while Van had a fish bun. Once we got to South Beach, Matt went for a run along the waterfront while Van had a wee nap and then we went out for a nice Italian dinner. Day three was a late start and a decent drive up to St Augustine. We had a couple of stops along the way for a seafood lunch at Vero Beach and a coffee at nice little European Kafe near Ron Jon surf shop.
St Augustine was a sleepy little town that was the first European settled city in the US. We started with a run on the beach in Anastasia State Park and then checked out San Sebastian winery (which we wouldn't rave about, but perhaps we're becoming wine snobs), had wraps and a smoothie at Crave Food Truck and then wandered around St Augustine Distillery with some tastey cocktails to kick things off. We finished off the day with a lazy dinner in and a cigar and some port from San Sebastian winery. Today we started early and boosted down to Daytona to run along the beach and visit the raceway which had some impressive grandstands. Along the way we went through Palm Beach which was very fancy and then managed to return the rental car at a reasonable time for our flight back home. Great break!