Four weeks to go before we pack up the house, load up the car and drive out of town. Interestingly, if we had planned ot leave today - we could not since the one and only road out of town has been closed due to forest fires !. We'd be trapped. Some say, now is a good time to leave, since there does appear to be a ring of forest fires circling our town of Yellowknife, and the fires have been effecting out electrical supply - meaning there have been frequent and lengthy power outages.
To see the road, click "satellite' on the map and zoom into the the area west of Yellowknife. Unfortunately, the satellite image is not live so it does not show all the forest fires.
We are not worried, and are quite sure that by September 2nd (our departure date) the forest fires will have been put out, and out trip will not be delayed.