Today we headed east to Hoover Dam on our way to Williams, Arizona. It was again another beautiful drive across Nevada and Arizona. We drove across Hoover Dam and then stopped for a great tour. This dam is amazing! What an incredible achievement from the people of the day to build such a structure. Here are a few facts:
1. It offers electricity and water supply for 5 States that surround the Colorado River basin.
2. It took 6 companies to come together to get the job done.
3. It took 3,500 workers, 24 hours a day, for 7 years, working for a $4 a day wage.
4. The walls are 460 feet thick.
5. The concrete used can form a 4 foot wide sidewalk all away around the Equater.
6. The water that is backed up to form Lake Mead can fill the whole state of Pennsylania 1 foot thick!
We all found it facinating and informative. The kids learned alot about electromagnetics, and how the turbines work. They also learned a bit about American history, the Great Depression, and geographics.
We then moved on to Williams AZ to find our RV Park. It is nestled in a forest just south of the Grand Canyon. Tomorrow we look forward to heading there and seeing the wonder of God's creation.