SWOT Analysis of Tourism in Mongolia:
• The history- Most people are interested in Mongolian history because of Chinggis Khaan. There are many places that tourists could go to discover more about Mongolian history.
• Natural formation- Mongolia has many destinations that shows beauty of the nature. There are rocky mountains, big lakes and sand dunes.
• Nomadic life style- In the country side, people still live in a nomadic life style. Tourists enjoy learning about traditional way of life.
• Art and culture- Mongolian traditional clothes are so unique. Also, Mongolian dance, Khuumii, ( throat singing), traditional art, contortion and music instruments draw tourists attention.
• Accommodation- Most tourist stay in the countryside for their travel, but some of the accommodations don't meet the basic requirements.
• Tourist come only in summer.- There is no way to travel in the long distance during winter. Because it gets down -30C degrees. Basically tourism stops during winter.
• Pollution in the city- Half of the population lives in the Ulaanbaatar city which makes a heavy traffic. It makes people frustrated.
• The destinations are far from each other and it takes hours to drive to one another. It is tiring for old people.
• Improvement for the accommodations- As mentioned above, hotels and camps are not very well developed in some areas. If they improve services in the countryside, it will have more benefits.
• Flight services- Only few provinces has small airport. If they build more airports, it will make travel easier. Tourist will save their time and it will be more comfortable.
• Repairing some cultural destinations- Over time, some of the great statues and destinations are broken and got old.
• Road signs- There is no road sign and no way to go on travel on our own. Only the people who know the road very well will bring you to the destinations.
• Heavy traffic in the city- If the traffic still continues in the coming years, tourists will get tired of traffic and will not choose to come to Mongolia.
• Train the tour guides well- It is something that I saw in my country. Tour companies send sometime who speaks English for the tourist. Sometimes they don't have an idea of how they introduce destinations.
• Theft- People should be really careful with thieves in the streets and in the public transportation.