Day 28 Kaikoura to Nelson
Can't believe it's been four weeks already….
The title today should be wet, wet, wet….woke this morning to a really grey day again and blowing a gale, well they did forecast it so I shouldn't be surprised; awfully glad we didn't go on the whale watch. If it wasn't cancelled which it may well have been it would have been very rough and with the visibility down to just a few yards so spotting anything other than white horses would have been a challenge. Pushed off after breakfast up towards Blenheim where the sun made a brief appearance whilst we visited one of the many wineries en route. We sampled a couple but as we were driving sadly couldn't have any more, well they do suggest going on an escorted tour for that very reason. Next stop was Havelock which is the capital of the NZ green mussels industry. As we both love mussels and had enjoyed our crayfish yesterday at Kaikoura we stopped for lunch and found a lovely restaurant on the Marina called the Slip Inn, right on the boat slip hence the name! Decided to go for a tasting plate for two which was the mussels done in 7 different ways - with bacon & cheese, sweet chilli, toasted parmesan cheese, garlic and herb, pesto & goat's cheese, mustard & honey and au natural - totally scummy. The cafe had one the prize for the best one in Marlborough so it shows how good they are. Weather wasn't too bad whilst we sat watching the boats being slipped in and out of the harbour, nice and warm, but as we walked back to the camper the drizzle that had started by then became a bit heavier. The drive over the Bryant Range into Nelson was horrid as the cloud had come right down and we were driving hairpin bends in almost zero visibility in places, and some idiots didn't have their lights on at all. Loads of roadworks all over the place as well that catch you out and where you have to slow down to 30kph to go through. More traffic too including large trucks which didn't help.
Have found another Kiwi caravan park tonight just on the outskirts of Nelson; we were going to venture to a Native motorhaven, in Motueka but the weather is too foul to go further. Sun is forecast for the next 3 days though so maybe tomorrow or we might just stay here and chill. Got to drive to Picton on Wednesday as we hand the van back early Thurs and catch the ferry and it would be quite nice to have a day without a lot of driving especially if we can catch a few rays……