3. AHH... THE SWEET AROMAS OF INDONESIA!
Squishing down the road in my muddy sandals - what a sight! A quick stop at the boat harbour to rediscover my feet, adding only marginally to the turbidity, which increased rather dramatically with the rain.
Slip past the Fish Market... crikey I'm sure glad I went in for a stroll around yesterday afternoon, when the fish were dried - the 'aroma' from the 'fresh' fish is 'quite something' this morning! As the fishy molecules are purging from my nasal cavities, here comes another familiar 'fragrance' that leaves me in no doubt as to where I am... further down the road (some distance, actually)... here's the Durian Express!
My take on durian:
- The unopened fruit, no problem (through the power of association, quite good actually - if I smell durian it typically means I'm on holidays!).
- The opened fruit, no problem (see above).
- Ingesting the fruit, no problem (nothing to rave about and certainly nothing to wri...).
- Half hour post-ingestion... my gosh, what HAVE I stepped in?!