9 April 09
Days on the truck can be long...
What better way to pass the time than to play games. Tim has invented a fabulous little game called, "You Know You're In South America When...".
Now, its pretty easy...you just need to list all the reasons why you KNOW you're in South America.
Here's what we've come up with so far (of course, we shall add on more as time progresses...and as more truths rear their ugly little heads)...
You know you're in South America when...
1. ...there are no exhaust fans in the bathroom or toilet;
2. ...the majority of the population is my height, or shorter - particularly in Bolivian and Peru;
3. ...there are 3 people employed to do a one-man job - e.g. Havaiana stores in Brazil - tiny, tiny, tiny shops for some reason needing three staff members to run them. Im still confused;
4. ...you order a spicy meal from under the "Spicy Dishes" section in the menu and they don't put chilli in it because 'people don't really like it' - yeah, work that one out!
5. ...it's hard to find refrigerated drinks - Peru! Peru!
6. ...there is no hot water in the shower, although the hotel posts a huge neon sign stating "HOT WATER 24 HOURS";
7. ...the toilet doesnt flush;
8. ...room service is only available from 6am to 10am, eventhough the hotel has its own restaurant (!!);
9. ...you dont get back all your washing from the laundromat, or you end up with someone else's undies or jeans;
10. ...you end up poisoned by contaminated water;
11. ...you always get short-changed by stall owners and taxi drivers.