Well, we are at our last day in Mykonos and it was just the perfect amount of time here. Some answers to a few of your questions:
- You can grab a 6 pack of take-away euro beer from the corner store for 4 euro (about 6 bucks) that tastes like crap (not that we'd know)
- David has not bought a speedo, but there is an orange stripey one that tickles his fancy.
- We have done some sightseeing, David saw and hungout with an OCTOPUS! Also, we have visited the windmills, saught isolated beaches and coves, and explored the coolest little restaurants and shops (more on that later)
So...here are some thoughts on Mykonos:
- 4 days is enough to thoroughly explore what it has to offer, 3 would have been rushed.
- We recommend staying in Mykonos town, not outside of it. That is where all the Greek life is, and your hotel would probably be looking over the water or over cute little cobbled alleys.
- We met Texans. Here is the convo summed up:
"You're Canucks? We love Canadians!! Come out t'night n' have sum drinks on us! Hey...do you know Michelle? Canadian girl, looks like Faith Hill? Met her last summer in Germany, haven't been happy since. Did you know that Texans consume more beer per person than any other state? And its not just a lil bit more, its like...pfft...three times as much..."
But they were totally rad, loaded (oil gains), and one of them is supposed to be governor in 2036. Hah.
Just so you know, both David and I are writing this. It's a team effort while our laundry is being cleaned.
Mykonos in a nutshell:
It is a larger island with many busy (paradise, thuper paradise(lisp intended)) and isolated beaches (kalafatis beach). Driving is CRAZY, we've heard vespa horror stories, but it would be great to rent a car to get to the nicer beaches as the bus doesn't go there. The inner city is the best part. It is a maze of white and blue cobbled streets, and the occaisional rainbow flag. The stores are so awesome...they are so much more colourful than anything in Canada. Grecian fashion consists of colourful cottons, super technical and strappy sandals, huge, vibrant jewellery, and designer sunglasses. Boys and girls :-) Everyone is in shape, everyone walks like they've had a few, or maybe its because the men's shorts are so tight. Snorkelling or scuba is a must, and finding the perfect beach is essential. We'll give you the deets when we get back...
Well, we're off for now! Our plans might be changing...but don't worry, we'll keep it a surprise! We've been tempted by an exotic location...people have been raving...