I thought I'd write an entry with the things that have amused or surprised us on the trip so far. I'm sure we will have many more of these over our time away:
- happy hour in some south beach restaurants was from 10 am to 10 pm. Happy hour in belize is 4-9 pm. Happy hour seems to be a huge deal no matter where we are! We got double rum and cokes for $2.50 a couple of nights ago!!
- at night, key west bars were pack with loud drunken 40-60 year olds. Guess it was too expensive for the 20 something crowd
- the island we are on has 3 streets: front, middle and back street! Front is the most expensive because its by the ocean, middle is moderate and decent prices, back is where the locals live.
- I went without conditioner for my hair for 17 days! Trust me, with all the sun, sand and seawater everyday I'm surprised my hair didn't break off. I eventually bought some though :)
- Toyota Previa (circa 1992) is the only car on these Belize islands. The most popular mode of transport are golf carts that travel at about 10 km an hour!!
- we have not had A/C in Belize. There is a constant breeze/wind that feels amazing. But at midday, we have our fans blasting and stay indoors. I think with humidity, it is 40 degrees EVERYDAY
- we met a lady whose son's name is Deuce (our family dog's name!)
- our snorkel instructor's name is Juni (our family dog's nickname!)
- our best purchases so far have been 2 water ready walking shoes, a Nike workout band, banana bread for $1that we ate for 2 days!!!
- worst purchases so far: isotonics workout book, snorkel gear that snapped on our first try
- things we can't live without: off mosquito repellent, bathing suits ( wish we had more!!), our handy netbook (hp mini 10 inch model)
- things I have just about had it with: my big hiking boots and a TNA sweater I brought. I better use them on our west coast drive or I'm going to rip them up when we get back