Well I suppose it's fitting that today's photo is of the beautiful boy who kept us up all night crying, cross because he wasn't given a feed overnight. Honestly. After feeling so nauseated last night then getting maybe 4hrs of broken sleep - I was broken this morning! I finally fed him at 6:30, after which he went off to sleep as did I, most gratefully. Then of course Megsy woke for the day wanting breakfast. Managed to hold her off till 9:30 bless her.
Beautiful sunny day with blue skies, breezy but not as windy as yesterday. The kids played in the playground while j and I packed and cleaned up the hut. Meg screamed at one point (god she's loud) which had both of us running. Only a minor injury, apparently caused by Emily and the first time I've had to speak with em about behaving sisterly and looking after meg.
We headed into Visby and parked by the tourist info, right by the ferry terminal. Jason wanted to see the museum and the girls wanted to go back so they went in while I waited with Felix. We sat outside with a coffee and felix pottered about quite happily for ages. Such a charmer. He peeped his head inside the cafe and had two waitresses cooing over him. The older one said, in English, "Do you know why babies are so cute? So you don't kill them." Blunt but true, especially when they keep you up! She has 3 kids herself. I was just booking a place to stay tonight when j and the girls arrived back, full of excitement as j had helped them try on the armour!
We walked up through the cobblestoned streets aways, and found what looked like a rather dingy cafe on the outside. It served saffron pancakes, which Jason wanted to try, so we went in rather than wander around in search. Inside was rather a surprise as there were a number of rooms set out to eat in, ranging eclectically from the aforementioned dingy to the downright modern, and an enormous outdoor grassed area with tables scattered amongst trees and stone ruins. Thus side caught the sun, so we sat outside. Beautiful. The saffron pancakes, a regional speciality, were a bit odd. Thick and edgy almost like a fritatta, very yellow and with almond slivers. Not quite sweet though. Served as a wedge accompanied by whipped cream and jam! I wasn't sure, but felix gobbled it down. And em gobbled both her and meg's sandwich. Although she has moments where she can eat for England, in general meg eats like a bird. She is constantly complaining of being hungry, or asking for something to eat but hardly touches her meals. We're lucky to get 1 or 2 bites at mealtimes.
We wandered around for a while then split up, me to go buy more nappies at the supermarket and j taking the girls to the playground. I got a few sneaky clothes for the kids and stopped at the pharmacy to get some nicotine tablets - thank goodness they had them. J's chewing is driving me bonkers! 10% of the time it's mildly sexy and all swaggery, the other 90% it's plain maddening with the open mouthed sound effects. So slight delay but I still got to the park in reasonable time. But noone there! I checked with some mums who hadn't seen any English girls, and headed back to the car as I thought j must be worried about the time and gone there too. Noone at the car either.
Luckily they turned up after about 15 mins - crossed wires about the meeting place. And we had enough time to get an ice-cream from the parlours along the front. Perfect.
We whizzed onto the ferry and had a good crossing. Time passed in the kids tv room and playroom, and having some dinner. I do love the ferries. Especially the overnight one's. Such a wonderful way to travel. So easy to just drive up to, no struggling with luggage, quick and straightforward checking in, the excitement of getting your bearings and seeing what's on each ship, fabulously entertaining for the kids, food and shopping. What's not to love? If they could combine the best parts of planes and ships, that would be perfect. Even managed to snap up an English novel in the shop (first I've seen in a while) as Jason keeps hogging my kindle. Anything for harmony!