- China Observations....
- People sleep anywhere and everywhere. It's accepted to sleep at work when not busy, e.g. On shop counters!
- Chinese people seem quite rude, especially the men, and to start with I thought it was maybe racism or sexism, but they seem rude to each other as well. E.g. Shout at each other, push in front of each other in queues. When you talk to people however they are sweet and helpful generally. Especially the younger generation.
- They werent used to seeing westerners about, even in the big cities. We were stared at all the time, and they were always taking our photo!
- They have no awareness of what is going in around them - they walk into you all the time and don't know you are there til they've smacked into you and then don't apologise. Quite annoying to start with but actually quite fun when you can't beat then so join them!
- They are obsessed with their mobile phones, always on them. Even have signal all over the metro system!
- They spit and hack up everywhere - not nicebut it's just part of normal life
- Babies and little kids where trousers without crutches and no nappies so that when they need a wee they just squat and do it where ever they are! I saw a baby wee all over a jewellery counter and the women in the shop didnt batter an eye lid, just got a cloth and cleaned it up! (Grant and I wanted to take a photo of a kid weeing on the street but thought it would look a bit wrong so didn't bother!)
- Women use umbrellas for sun as well as rain, which when looking at my wrinkled face with sun damage all over it, i'm starting to think is not a bad idea!
- Food and accommodation isn't as cheap as we expected it to be, but transport is ridiculously cheap. About £2 for a 20 minute taxi ride and 10p to ride the bus!
- There is a lot more English spoken than expected, including road signs. Even in the rural areas. In some ways it was easier to navigate and communicate than in Russia.
- Boyfriends carry their girlfriend's hand bags.
- The women were generally very beautiful.
- There are electric scooters everywhere. As there electric they make no noise so you can't hear them coming!
- The girls have random dress sense, very little short shorts and high heel or wedge shoes, the more colourful and uncomfortable the better!
- Teenage girls are very giggly, its annoying! (or maybe that's just me being old!)
- People wear face marks everywhere especially the tube. Its mostly women but some men do too.
- The chinese really do love their tea! Carry it everywhere with them!