As you all know from previous blog entry, our 7.30pm train trip yesterday was cancelled due to floods and heavy rain. For those who do not know, there is a Typhoon named Megi, moving from across the Philippines, it is considered the strongest one this year and is rather big (with up to 200kmph winds and such). We were aware of this as we set off to leave Hanoi, we actually considered staying in Hanoi for couple of more nights to weather it out, however we then cancelled that idea and continued onward to Hue and you can read about our journey in previous entry.
As we were travelling, only information we knew about the typhoon was that it was going to hit Hue and Hoi An in next couple of days, so we were left with choices what to do. The floods that were on the road were a stark reminder that laid ahead. Amy also heard that south of Vietnam has already been hit by heavy floods and entire areas are impassable. She originally suggested that we should fly to Thailand, more inland away from typhoon. I thought we should fly to Saigon first if we cannot stay in Hue and weather it out there and then just do Mekong Delta instead of the mid Highlands. As we kept discussing this, we eventually decided to go to Hue (which has domestic airline/airport) and stay there. Weather it out for 2-3 days and once it has passed (that is if it would've taken that time) continue our journey. We ruled out staying in Hue for one night and continue to Hoi An as it was a lot smaller city and very prone to floods (as in trying to out travel the typhoon)
The plan was to stay in Hue, if it gets too rough then travel to Danang(which has international airlines/airport), which is 1 hour travel away and then fly either to Thailand/Saigon/Cambodia. If the weather would've been too bad for flying then just sit it out in Danang as it is the 3rd biggest city in Vietnam.
However luckily none of that is necessary, with latest information that we have, the typhoon Megi has turned itself towards southern China and is moving towards that and we will just get the slight edge of it - if even that. We will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Currently we will stay in Hue another 2 nights and then will continue to Hoi An. IF and that is a big if - the mid highlands are impassable then we will just go back to Danang and fly to Saigon.
So nothing to worry :) stay tuned for more!