We have arrived at Perth, our home for the next three weeks where we will not only move out of the caravan to look after a house, but we will look after one very friendly and cheeky dog.
With so many highlights to talk about, probably easiest to go around the room and list a few (will let you guess who's highlight is who)
- The house! We had the privilege to stay in a massive 4bedroom, 3bathroom (not to mention the music room or the study....as these two rooms just don't quite fit into our profile), two storey house in one of Perth's best suburbs, just a short distance from all Perth has to offer. Throw in a super large kitchen (with an oven!), Foxtel and a solar heated swimming pool and we were all set!
- Fremantle! During our stay we seemed to be drawn to this lovely suburb of Perth and visited it on numerous occasions. From soaking up the atmosphere on AFL grand final day (noting Fremantle were playing Hawthorn), to a lazy lunch of fish and chips at the marina, to enjoying a relaxing coffee from one of the many coffee shops located on the famous cappicuno strip.....Fremantle is a great town.
- Perth Show. Think Royal Sydney Easter show, although in Perth and in September. Rides, games, exhibitions, massive crowds and obviously showbags and you have it. Show highlight....showbags of course- Hunter (zappo) and Cooper (the biggest showbag ever!, noting it came with a real stakeboard!)
- Fremantle Goal. Took a tour of the local Fremantle Goal, which closed for 'business' in 1991. Great tour, got told many a story of how hard it was (and should be) back then. Cooper's favourite story was that up to it's closure, they still had buckets for toilets in the cells. Cooper thought getting a job in the kitchen was tough, only getting about $20 per week, but when told about the alternative (cleaning the poo buckets for $5), he started to think otherwise!
- WACA. Being cricket tragics (well Bec is anyway, me, I can tell you about a certain catch which won a grand final but probably should just stick to our trip) just had to include a tour of the WACA on the things to do list. In summary, was not disappointed. Great to hear stories of past (recent and not so recent) players and their acheivements, as well as get to venture into rooms which the average joe blow would not get to see.
- Swan Valley. Having got a taste of what awaits us in Margaret River (refer below, will get to that shortly), had to take a drive through it's 'poorer cousin', being Swan Valley. Although not as big and probably not as famous, still a great place to explore and purchase a few red and white cordials. PS. The Feral Brewary is a great place for a bite to eat, and their beer is not to bad as well!
- Rockingham. At Rockingham (south of the river, or as the locals refer SOR), we got to take a tour to Penguin Island, famous for its penguins (obviously!). Although not many penguins to be seen in their natural environment (wrong time of day and year) we did get to see some seals lazying on the beach, doing what we all want to do, that is....not much! Although a highlight of our trip would have to be the when weather turned sour and we had to wait in the cold whilst waiting for the boat to return to take us back to the mainland. (never been so cold.......well not on this trip anyway!)
- Margaret River. Noting Kerry was missing us and couldn't wait until our return (similiar to Terry on Wedneday's, knowing Friday is just to far away to wait for a beer) she joined us for a few days to check out Perth. During her stay, we headed out early and ventured down to Margaret River for the day. Wine, beer, chocolate (probably the best ever) and great scenery are all factors which make Margaret River a great place to visit. Can't wait until we re-visit the area in a few weeks!
- Grown Ups Two. Semi-normal life - decided to take the boys to the movies on cheap Tuesday (yep, it's a national thing). And after many an argument (noting Planes and Turbo were also out) we 'agreed' to watch Grown Ups Two. Funniest movie ever (according to some), especially when the moose charges at.....won't wreck it for anyone. Couldn't stop (won't mention who, but he is our youngest) from laughing!
- Fremantle Maritime Museum. Great, got to see to yacht (Australia II) which won the America's Cup up close. Also got to tour a retired submarine, where afterwards, we all agreed would be a crappy occupation. (toooo cramped!)
- Perth itself! (and it's surrounding suburbs)...Great place. During our stay we ventured north, south, east and west of Perth and hard to report any negative findings.
And we haven't yet mentioned the dog we looked after. He was a cocker spaniel named Will, and he was amazing. He could sit, roll over, fetch, jump through hoops and do all other sorts of tricks, but best off all, he could and would just jump up on the lounge and sit on your lap while watching TV. Not sure who misses him the most, the boys or Bec?