... and just like that, our European Adventure is over.
The bags are unpacked. The laundry is done. Work begins tomorrow. The groove in the bed is being reformed.
We are sitting here trying to put into words the experiences we have had over the past five weeks. Not an easy task. Even though we both saw the same sights and met the same people, we both took away different highlights from the past 5 weeks. Here's a sampling of a few of them from both of us.
Some thoughts from Jill:
- loved the wine in Italy and the beer in Austria. I can't believe I didn't have one hangover.
- I enjoyed Athens over Rome. Same kind of sights but Athens did a wonderful job explaning the ruins
- Berlin amazed me, the history in this city is unbelievable and they do a great job of capturing their history.
- My tops meals were in - Salzburg, Santorini, Manarola, Venice and Florence.
- I love benches!
- So thankful I got to do this adventure with my best friend...I can't believe we didn't kill each other :-)
Some thoughts from Graham:
- There's more to Amsterdam than pot and red lights, though when in Rome... Not that I'm suggesting that you dive head first into both those experiences, but at least dabble as much as your loving wife will tolerate. :)
- Make sure you register to go up the Reichstag in Berlin a week before you're scheduled to be there. I've heard it's a great view. This is one of the very few regrets I had on the entire 5 week trip.
- The Alps are way cooler if you climb them. One of the smaller ones, sure, but still way cooler.
- I need to brush up on my Hungarian and Greek.
- I'm good with a map. I'm good with direction. I sometimes struggle to combine the two (in the way that I either know which way North is, but don't know what road I'm on or vice versa). Good thing I had the best navigator I know with me every step of the way. :)
Our journey was blessed with great weather, incredible experiences and fantastic people. We left every city with a better understanding and appreciation for its history, people and character. Most of all, we learned that any trip will be phenomenal with a little planning, a sense of humour and the perfect travel companion.
We want to thank our loyal readers and those of you who left us a comment or two. We both enjoyed logging on and seeing what those back home left for us.
Returning home includes with it the added sadness of getting back to the reality of working for a living, which will seriously affect our ability to select the pictures to post. But fear not.... they will be posted soon, either here or on Facebook. We look forward to sharing them with you in the hopes of giving you an even better glimpes into what was Graham and Jill's European Adventure.
Until then, Goede Nacht/Gute Nacht/Dobrú noc/Jó éjszakát/Buona notte/Καλή νύχτα.
- Graham and Jill