Well, it's over! 365 days travelling around 17 countries has been incredible! As you'll have read, throughout the year we've had our fair share of disasters. Probably more than our fair share in fact!
Some of the most memorable include: 1 missed flight and many near misses (silly free internet) 4 stolen cameras 1 lost camera 4 lost/misplaced bank cards 1 stolen i-pod 2 typhoons (Vietnam and Cambodia) 1 cyclone (Fiji) 1 earthquake (Chile) 2 speeding tickets (Australia and New Zealand) 1 cracked window screen (New Zealand) 1 camper van water tank filled with petrol (Aimee)
But we've also had an unbelievable time and done some amazing things:
- Skydiving over Mission Beach (Australia)
- Bungee jumping (New Zealand)
- Diving on the Great Barrier Reef
- Zorbing (Australia and New Zealand)
- Flying Fox through Gravity Canyon (New Zealand)
- Tango lessons (Argentina)
- Elephant trekking in Chiang Mai (Thailand)
- Climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge (Australia)
- Hiking up a glacier (New Zealand)
- White water rafting in Queenstown (New Zealand)
- Trekking the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu (Peru)
- Sand boarding in Huacachina (Peru)
- Surf Lessons (Australia)
- Whitsundays cruise (Australia)
- Visiting the Amazon
- San Pedro Prison (Bolivia)
- Iguazzu Falls (Argentina)
- Christ the Redeemer (Brazil)
We covered nearly every mode of transport: Plane, car, boat, bus, flight, campervan, quad, buggy, bicycle, scooters, motor bike, tandem bike, canoe, tubes, tuk tuk, cyclo, horse, elephant!
Now this is the hard part… We visited 17 countries, all of which were unique in their own way. Summarising our favourite things in each place is borderline impossible, but this is our attempt:
- Singapore - Food festival in Clark Quays, Singapore Slings
- Thailand - Mushroom shakes at the Full Moon Party (by a mile), island hopping
- Laos - Tubing!
- Cambodia - Ankor Wat, visiting the orphanage, cycling through puddles in Siem Reap
- Vietnam - Halong Bay, Halloween in Nha Trang
- Kuala Lumpa - visiting the KL Towers
- Bali - everything, and for Sam - finally getting a tan!!!!
- Australia - Cairns, Surfers Paradise, Perth, Melbourne (Australian Open)
- New Zealand - Bay of Islands, Taupo, Queenstown
- Chile - Night out with Paola
- Colombia - Camping in Tyrona National Park
- Equador - Hiring Quads and Buggies in Baños with the Dutchies
- Peru - Cuzco! Trekking the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu
- Bolivia - Sleeping in the Amazon, Visiting San Pedro Prison, the roundabout in La Paz, the Potosi mines and football game
- Argentina - learning to dance the Tango, seeing Iguazu Falls
- Uruguay - Watching the World Cup with the locals and stepping back in time in Colonia
- Brazil - everything!
We've done the most amazing things and would do it all again, if only we had the money!! The good things and the bad have all added to the journey and it is something that we will never forget! We've met some amazing people, some that will be friends for life regardless of where they live... Thank you for adding to our trip!
Deciding how to finish this was a little tricky, what was the most memorable bit to write about, the most interesting, the funniest... after all this sums up our year! But then we realised its easy. Obviously, we need to thank ourselves for putting up with each other and for actually surviving (I'm sure some people doubted our ability knowing how ditsy we can both be), but most importantly the parentals! We know it couldn't have been easy having your amazing, intelligent, gorgeous girls away for a year especially when you learnt about all the disasters, but thank you so much for being there and supporting us in every way you could. Without you Sam and Dani's Year of Fun would never have happened xox