Watching the sunset from the top of the Empire State Building was amazing. You can see the whole of New York City as well as Brooklyn and the Statue of Liberty in all her glory. The view was stunning as the sunset and night drew over New York, a moment we will never forget. It was fun watching the city lights twinkle as it gradually got darker and the mayhem below as rush hour approached. Glad to be above it all, the Chrysler building sparkled like a crystal in the dark, it is by far the most stunning building in NY. Times Square continued to buzz, it still appeared to be day there as lights flooded the street.
Central Park was also beautiful. Escaping the hustle and bustle of the city streets there are many hidden gems in the park, the botanical gardens was our favourite with so many stunning waterfalls, fountains and flowers. We simply loved sitting on top of the park rocks looking into the city and watching the world go by. We have been very lucky with the weather as it has been gorgeous everday.
The variety of food in New York is poor. There is a McDonalds on every corner alongside Burger King, Wendy's, TGI's and steak houses the list of junk food is endless. We miss good ole english food! Bangers and mash pleassse or at least something without some grease. I have also been trying to find a kettle so that I can make tea each morning (I cracked after only one day) After visiting numerous supermarkets many did not know what a kettle was I am now living off only 1 tea a day often picked up from either starbucks or burger king... coming off of caffeine is hard.
It can only be expected that due to staying in hostels we are going to experience unanticipated things. On our second day we were ready to leave the hostel when the screeching sound of the fire alarm blazed through the room. I opened the door and much to my suprise noticed smoke coming out of our shared kitchen! We left the room immediately and rushed down to reception. The receptionist had no idea the fire alarm was even going off. Sam kindly pointed her in the direction of the fire and we waited in anticipation. It turns out some idiot had left their breakfast in the microwave! Thankfully the kitchen had not burned down but the microwave was ruined. When we returned to our room the whole place completely stank of smoke. Our clothes and bedding all smelt real bad. O the joy of budget travel!